Forget CPU and GPU thermal throttling — charge rate throttling is now a thing.
- The charging circuit doesn’t have enough cooling and tends to overheat.
- Since the charging circuit and the CPU use the same heatsink, the heatsink already warmed by the CPU does not have a low enough temperature to efficiently cool the charging circuit.
- The charging rate is temperature-dependent, but the charging circuit doesn’t seem to have a temperature sensor, so Huawei might have gone super conservative about protecting the charging circuit and modeled its temperature after the CPU temperature.
- Therefore, even when the CPU is a little bit warm, the charging rate thermal-throttles.
- Add 1mm-thick thermal pad to the circled area of the motherboard’s backside.
- Replace the existing thermal pads on the charging circuit components with better pads, 2mm and 0.5mm.
If you want to improve the MateBook X Pro’s overall thermal performance (CPU, GPU, etc), see the full mod guide.